Tuesday 2 June 2009

Home made Deco Glass Vases

It was a sunny afternoon when I was passing by an old papermart. I spotted a few glass bottles in a basket left outside basking in the Sun. The old man was generous enough to give me a few of them. I grabbed this opportunity and picked up a few wine and liquor bottles of all shapes and sizes with an instant idea of turning them into something really useful. My sisters have moved into their new homes and I thought I should give them something that is handcrafted by me. With the idea of turning them into some deco pieces.....I reached home and scrutinised the chest where old books and calendars are stored year after year......I found an old beautiful diary that contained pictures of Penny Black's dried flowers garden collection. I carefully cut out pictures from this. After thoroughly washing all the bottles, I decided to partly decoupage them with these pictures. Since I wanted to add some texture, I hand-cut art paper (hand-made paper) which had some dried rose petals and leaves. I first stuck this art paper with fevicol and then stuck the printed pictures. I then added 4 layers of diluted fevicol to decoupage and give it a more natural effect.







For these small bottles, I decided to do without the art paper.......




I spent 1 hr washing the bottles and drying them.....(Please remember to soak them overnight in detergent water to get rid of all the lables and the smell). I then spent about 2 hrs in cutting and pasting them to arrive at thís effect.




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive!! Very pretty!! Your sisters are very lucky!! Can I have one as well??!

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

hey patricia....
thank u so much.... I could courier one or two... if you are residing in bangalore.....not at all a problem.....

Veda said...

hey vasu....

I have placed the bottles in one corner of my kitchen ....they r looking so good!!!!

veda

Veda said...

thanks so much!

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

wow cool.....

Unknown said...

vasu,
the idea of these old bottles converted into a show piece is just wonderful. I couldnt have even thought of something like this. Keep your creativity going!!

Anonymous said...

Hi !
first time here,came here through mydreamcanvas.And this is the first post I am reading while i was just overlooking.Very beautiful bottles.and thanks a lot for the clear instructions.

Madhavi said...

Hi !
first time here,came here through mydreamcanvas.And this is the first post I am reading while i was just overlooking.Very beautiful bottles.and thanks a lot for the clear instructions

lakshmi said...

simply elegant

Prasukitchen.blogspot.com said...

simply superb vasudha

Purva Desai said...

Vasudha, I came across this beautiful blog of urs...
Its indeed a beautiful piece of work....
I ve recently developed this taste of using used bottles for decorating my house.....
I ve converted used dettol bottles in to a flower vase by painting them...
Really liked ur idea of pasting a picture on it
Thanks for sharing this idea....

manjulakp@gmail.com said...

I came across this creative idea blog ...I want to learn this home made Deco Glass Vases . Can you help me ..as I was looking something like ...I have a fish bowel which i want to use it like the way u have made it .

Shilpa said...

Wow... this is so pretty :D

devshreehb said...

Marvellous....the decoupage looks too good.And you have done it so well that it looks as if it is painted.Now i know what i have to do to those unused bottles.Thanks a lot for a wonderful idea.

SV said...

First time on your blog.Magnificent bottles!I have collected couple of bottles will try this idea.