Thursday 20 August 2009

A Kid Chair Makeover.....Decoupage....

I am back with the promise I made regarding decoupage. Here is the chair that I was working on. Phew....Its finally over and my daughter has been using it. She is very happy and feels like she is on the throne.
This is a wooden chair made of teak and is about 40 years old. A look at the chair before the makeover.

After the Decoupage.....




To do this.....you need to.....
1. Sand the wooden chair using a sand paper. Fill any holes and cracks using some wax.
2. With a flat brush, paint the whole chair in oil paint (black). I used a bit of red to break the monotony (for the legs and the openings in the back rest).
3. Once it is dry, decide on your motifs. In this case, since I was doing it for my daughter who is just 4 years old, I decided to go in for some pictures of different flowers, flags, means of transport, fish, birds and their nest as the chair could act as a part of her learning. I finely cut out all these pictures from the charts, soaked them in water for some time. If the pictures are too thick, then you need to smoothen it from behind using a sand paper to reduce the thickness of the paper.
4. Once these pictures are ready, stick them using fevicol at the desired places.
5. I then gave a few rough strokes in copper acrylic paint and wrote out text like Birds, Flowers...etc.,....just to add some glamour to the chair.
6. Now, using a flat brush, give the whole chair a coating using the decoupage liquid. (As an easy method, I generally dilute the fevicol a little by adding water and use it).
7. Give generous coats (4-5 layers) of this liquid in such a way that the pictures smoothen out on the chair and look as if they are painted on the chair. Ensure that every coat thoroughly dries before you apply the next one.
8. If you want a shine, then give it a coat of varnish.
In these days of recession, please do not throw away any of your furniture........Instead, think of innovative ways to using them beautifully. Please let me know if you recently did anything that you would like to showcase on my blog. Share a picture or information at vasudha.dilip@gmail.com.

15 comments:

Unknown said...

lovely!!! :)
ur kid must be thrilled. I'll try it out too! where do i get the decoupage liquid??

Anonymous said...

oh wow!! the chair looks beyond impressive.. I'm going to try this as well.. Fab!! Your kids are so lucky!

Unknown said...

good stuff ;)

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

Thanx to all for the comments...

@ shruti, In bangalore, you can get this liquid in avenue road.will get back to you with the name of the shop. It is mostly for in all shops which sell art products.

Unknown said...

The name of the shop which suplies art stores is BHASKAR ART SUPPLY STORES!
THEY HAVE EVERY THING U NAME IT U GET IT! :-)

vEDS

sonali said...

loved it, superb..

SewDanish-Scandinavian Textile Art, Unique Handmade Supplies said...

What a project with a beautiful result. You must be so pleased. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I really appreciate it!
Birgitte
http://SewDanish.etsy.com

~G said...

Super! The pictures on the chair look wonderful. Your kid must be delighted! :D
Since you insist that I shouldn't throw away my stuff, please give ideas on how a small steel cupboard (a total eyesore)can be reused or decoupaged.

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

Hi all,
@ veda thanx for the info dear....
@ G, please mail me a picture of the steel cupboard and the space that it is kept in ....I can think of something innovative

Shashi Nayagam said...

You did a great job of that chair. No wonder your daughter is so thrilled with it.

Unknown said...

You are very talented! No wonder your daughter loves this chair, it's an amazing piece of art now you have worked it.

Anonymous said...

Back to designer Kid Furniture; I love to highlight these few designs that I saw, just look at Casamodern kids collection.

Haddock said...

Thats creativity at its best.

Anonymous said...

hi vasudha any idea where i can get decoupage liquid in south mumbai ? any art stores you or anyone else knows of ? ive been reading a lot about decoupage and want to try it ...

Diana Crasta Interiors said...

Fabulous job...!!!