Tuesday 19 May 2009

Mood boards and Colour Schemes

If I am left on my own to do whatever I like to.....then i think i will end up having truckloads of moodboards.... I just love the art of making them. As a designer, I consider moodboards the best way to convey concept ideas to the clients. For those who are not familiar with the thought of a moodboard......It is just a board of a considerable thickness (mostly picture mount boards) decorated with a particular concept or scheme in mind. By seeing this, a client should be able to perceive the concept of one's design idea. I have a few samples of moodboards which I have done only to describe the concept of warm and cool colour schemes.
Warm Colour Scheme
Colours like yellow, orange-yellow, red-orange, orange, red and red-violet are called the warm colours. These colours emit warmth and energy. They are mostly the different hues of the sun and so aptly named as warm colours. Choose warm colours in rooms which needs energy like the living room, kitchen etc.,
The board below also depicts a warm colour scheme in red-violet with shades like pink and magenta and some tints in red. Assuming pink to be a woman's colour, i decided to make this board with most of the accessories close to a woman's heart.
Cool Colour Scheme
These colours are generally soothing in nature. Colours like Violet, blue-violet, blue, blue-green, green, yellow-green are considered cool. When we see the greenery, the sea and the sky in nature, we tend to feel more relaxed and calm. The same applies to interiors of a home as well. Therefore, it is better to go in for cool colours in rooms where you would want to relax... like the bedrooms, bathrooms etc.,

I love living amidst greenery and green happens to be my favourite colour. Every time it rains, i love to see the cool green fields washed away of its dust......

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh.. the colours are impressive!! Are these photoshopped???

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

thanks for the comments....i am sorry...i did not understand the meaning of photostopped?...can u please clarify...?

Vasudha Narasimhan said...

hey patricia....got the meaning of photoshop.... no..these are not photoshopped...they are as they are taken from a normal olympus digital camera...not even SLR digital...

Anonymous said...

oh very impressive Vasu!!

Witchcrafted Life said...

Gorgeous collages! I could also spend far too much time creating inspiration boards and online photo mosaics, if free time were to ever pop up ;) Creating pieces like this is so fun and I find really does help to get your creative juices flowing.

Many thanks for your comment on my blog & have a beautiful day,
Jessica

Unknown said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! These mood boards are fantastic and inspiring! Great blog!!! Keep up the fabulous work =)

Sans! said...

I love all of them! Gorgeous!

arati said...

Hi Vasu ,
Missed a few of your posts, but have tried to catch up now and those are really fantastic . Infact I want to know where can I get the lampshades support structure i.e the wired fabricated structure on which we can fix the required sheet. Also if you can guide for making a lampshade.
arati

Truffles and Trails said...

Hey Vasu, Lovely blog. Specially loved the refurbished gold chair very ethnic, very ornamental.Also the decoupaged chest is awesome. I like decoupaging a lot myself...hate the sanding process as it ends up giving me allergies..:(
I guess I have to start making mood boards soon, I particularly loved the diwali one the most. did u make it with actual fabrics etc on the board and then upload a picture of the board or used a software to cut and paste different objects from various places to create thr final look. The reason I ask is coz u have also acknowledged the sources from where u procured them, so wanted to know if its actualmaterials or from mags/brochures/net catalogues.